Sunday, February 7, 2010

Haiti, 1915

  Haiti has a troubled past. The US has a long history of imperialism. Unsurprisingly, the US has been involved with Haiti's history for decades. In 1915, Haiti was invaded by US marines to "protect American and foreign" interests. For PR purposes, the occupation was labeled as a mission to “re-establish peace and order... and has nothing to do with any diplomatic negotiations of the past or the future”.
From wikipedia:
  "Through American manipulation, 40% of the national income was used to alleviate the debt repayment to both American and French banks. Despite the large sums due to overseas banks, this economic decision ignored the interests of the majority of the Haitian population and froze the economic growth the country needed. For the next nineteen years, advisers of the United States governed the country, enforced by the United States Marine Corps."
  One famous participant in the occupation was General Smedley Butler. He was the author of War Is a Racket, a publication with condemned the use of US military might to defend the interests of a small number of very wealthy people. Here is one of many memorable quotes: 
  "I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for theNational City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."
  Interestingly, a condensed version was printed in Reader's Digest in 1935, in which he was praised for his "moral as well as physical courage". How times change.

Take a look at some great War Is a Racket and US Intervention shirts if you're in the mood.
  

No comments: