Monday, April 12, 2010

Unamerican

I've heard some pretty shocking things in my time. How about “you’re a traitor for questioning consumption”? This didn't happen to me, but it did happen to Annie Leonard (remember the Story of Stuff?). It was all because she spoke out against what she thought was an outdated, fundamentally flawed system. I wonder if the kind of person who would make a comment like that actually understands the concept and the problems we are facing as a result (and more importantly, what it means to be free). Have you ever read the Bill of Rights? I have - every word.
I know that we are living in a time where nothing can be taken for granted. Many people choose not to believe what they hear on the news. I can understand that. I know I do the same, but I notice that many people are very selective in their beliefs. It is almost as if they select their truths to fit into their existing belief system.
Over the last few years, we've seen some good examples, such as:
Climate change (or global warming) is a big fraud
Creationism is more valid than natural selection (or Darwinism)
We can go back a few decades, and look at Lee Harvey Oswald, the Watergate incident or any number of events through our recent history and see that there are always people who will deny facts, twist them, or claim that it was in our best interests if the facts cannot be denied.
Back to our current environmental crisis for a moment, I know there are many who see climate change as another excuse to separate us from our hard earned money. I agree, in that there are many who intend to use the crisis to maximise profits. As usual, it is those corporations and politicians at the top of the food chain who are the perpetrators. Before I explain that, I want to make it very clear that it does not automatically mean that the whole crisis is a fraud. It means that it is being hijacked for profit.
Annie describes the cap and trade system in her latest film:



When we suggest that we have damaged our planet, or that a war or a policy is wrong (ethically or legally), that suggestion shakes the belief systems of some people. Shocking truths are often unpleasant, but we have to accept them if logic dictates that it is most likely true. We cannot hope to continue to prosper and evolve if we cling to outdated beliefs. Similarly, we canoot resort immediately to threats and violence against those with differing opinions or lifestles. That is a great way to start a war. Have you noticed any correlations between our culture and our foreign policy recently?

No comments: